Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Has anyone else noticed that just about every piece of cloth gear has either a ton of crit, or a ton of haste on it? I'm not complaining, I'm just..pleasantly surprised.

I know that alot of healers are going to run for the haste gear because I mean, come on, who doesn't want a Greater Heal to only take 1.5 seconds? In fact, it's what I've been doing since the release. But, last night I was thinking.

If you cast faster...you can cast more! But...if you cast more you're likely to oom faster and end up having something crazy like a 40% overheal ratio. Also, I find that I'm not taking Prayer of Mending into consideration before I throw a Flash Heal at someone, because the Flash Heal will land before they get hit again to proc PoM. Really, this is just sloppy healing on my part, but I think that the bulk of the issue could be fixed by switching up my gearing.

If you crit more, you get clearcasting + haste (if you have the improved Holy Concentration talent)procs more often. And, if you happen to overheal with the crit you'll get 25% of that spells mana cost returned to you (via Serendipity). Crits generally make healing easier because they amount to almost two heals' worth tossed into one.

My conclusion- haste is wonderful. It's very good for the times when you have to spam in order to keep a Death Knight tank alive, or when the group is taking a ton of damage because someone accidentally moved too close to the right and aggro'd the pat of elementals. However, I think at this time crit will be more beneficial mana efficiency wise.

In PvP, it's never so much important to keep the group alive, as it is to keep yourself alive. We are very, very squishy creatures. Haste will be absolutely fantastic for arena and BGs, crit, not so much.


To sum it all up-
Crit = PvE stat.
Haste = PvP stat.

The end =]

♥Fae

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find about 10% haste raid buffed is sufficient for Priest healers ^_^

Anonymous said...

For me as a shaman gear choices has never been black or white. I just have different gear sets for different situations. Obviously haste is pure love for a shaman when burst-AoE damage has to be mopped up quickly, for mana intesive fights I stack mp5 (and now INT I guess). Nearly every healing class has gotten some talents that make crit more attractive but for me it remains a bonus stat. And int gives us crit as well but helps mana regeneratino too which makes it a very pleasent middle way.

For me it all comes down to two steps:
1. make sure your gear has enough mana regen to carry you through the fight
2. then max. out your hps with which stats helps you most (most possibly spellpower/haste).

CoH might profit in a good way from crit because it can push up the rather weak heal/person, but who knows where CoH is going anyway.

Faeris said...

Aye, I was speaking in general terms. I've just found that since CoH, and PoM can now crit, it's alot easier to take care of the small bits of raid damage, without really having to think about it. Haste is good for G. Heal, Flash Heal, and PoH, but often 'too' much haste can end up hurting you in the long run, because you cross heal and oom.

Mana regen is currently my biggest concern about healing in Wrath. With a single heal costing over 1000 mana, even with mana reducing talents, I'm just trying to figure out which bonus things- crit and haste- I will end up wanting more.

Once the guild starts doing 10/25 mans, I'll post my observations. =]

Thanks for the comments, guys!